Saturday, January 10, 2009

Yet More Anti-Gypsyism in UK Press








Yet again the UK Press have felt it perfectly fine to print an article that is blatantly Anti-Gypsy.

The article can be read by clicking the link below. The latest missive appeared in this mornings Daily Mail.


Whilst I can neither confirm or deny the crimes and incidents listed in this article, I would say that if these crimes have been committed then they have been comitted by "some" Gypsy and Travellors, but this article seems to lead the reader to the conclusion that "all" people from our community behave in this was, and therefore all Gypsy and Travellors should be prevented from setting up home on sites.


If this level of hatred was directed at any other minority group in this country there would be public outcry, and quite rightly so.


Recently there seems to be trend in UK press for running such articles which is totally unacceptable.


I share the view that such articles incite racial hatred and should be reported to the police, I myself have reported todays Daily mail article to both my local police authority and to the Metropolitan police, locally the Inspector I spoke to is "taking advice", the Met on the otherhand, stated that such a complaint can only be taken by them if it is presented to them by the Press Complaints Commission, they did not accept my stance that the Police should accept any complaint of a criminal act made to them by a member of the public, who have the right to access police help.


However the Met did give me a crime ref/log number, so if anyone wishes to support my complaint you can ring the Met on 0300-123-1212 and quote Crime Ref/ Log number CHS 9204 of 10th January 2009.
UPDATE
Since posting I have had the following information from Lord Avebury..which I have no doubt is accuarate...read this and then follow the link below to the article
If anyone from the site mentioned in the Daily Mail article reads this and wishes to make complaint PLEASE do so, if you want help doing so please email me gyps1e1957@aol.com
"The Press Complaints Commission say that only complaints from a person who is himself or herself affected by an article has the right to complain. If you know a Gypsy or Traveller living on an unauthorised site in the area mentioned who is prepared to complain it would be good, because in the case of previous anti-Gypsy articles this has always been the stumbling-block.Its also necessary to campaign widely for a change in the terms of reference of the PCC, so that racist articles could be the subject of a complaint by organisations representing the group concerned.
Regards,
Eric Avebury"


The offending article is below




I am also adding information from an email I recieved recently fromhe Travellor Law Reform Project..shown below


Racist press articles and resistance to site provision

Two unfortunate developments have begun occurring recently. TLRP believes that they are closely linked.

The first is that there have been a number of inflammatory articles in several newspapers concerning site provision for Gypsies and Travellers. Complaints have been made to the Daily Express, the Police Complaints Commission and the police. A protest was held outside the offices of the Press Complaints Commission on Thursday 4 December, at which Candy Sheridan, Vice Chair of the Gypsy Council, handed in a number of individual letters of complaint. The PCC has agreed to meet with the Gypsy Council to discuss the current attacks on Gypsies and Travellers in the press. The police, meanwhile, have moved the complaint of incitement to racial hatred back and forth between Sussex and City of London police and now handed it to the Press Complaints Commission for advice. This is clearly unacceptable, as an allegation has been made that a crime has been committed by the Daily Express, and it is not for an unaccountable body such as the Press Complaints Commission to do the work of the police in investigating the allegation.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kushti bok mi pena

January 10, 2009 at 11:12:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"hi shay what can i say when we used to have the fairground people in the area the crime rate went up with people nicking whatever they could get knowing where the blame would go. not everone that drives a van and collects metal and frag are rom some are mumpers trying to make a living im sick and tired of people saying oh no not pikeys theyve got some front sometimes they just dont understand .shay keep up the good work.kusti bok pete cooper x"

January 11, 2009 at 11:23:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Veshengro said...

Hi Shey...

Latcho dives, Phena...

"The Press Complaints Commission say that only complaints from a person who is himself or herself affected by an article has the right to complain."

What a lovely get out. So if I, as a Gypsy, a Rom, are offended by the article, as it stands, or other of that nature, though am not "affected" by it as I do not live anywhere in that areas or on an unauthorized camp I have no right to complain. Lovely law. Same get out that is used by the what once was called the Commission for Race Relations. The Furle Bonfire incident was the good enough example. When it concerns others - not meaning to be racist but we are just not dark enough, I guess - then they seem to be able to act directly but when it affects we the Gypsy then it is a firm "No can do". Only individuals can complain. Doh?

But bacht

o Veshengro

January 11, 2009 at 12:22:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Pesha said...

Yes I think the law surrounding this is ridiculous..and I agree with Lord Avebury ..it needs changing
Frankly if an articile of this nauture is published it affects the entire community regardless of location, as the deliberate implication is that ALL of us conduct ourselves in this way.
However I will still be making a complaint to the Press Complaints Commission, and see what comes of it.

January 11, 2009 at 12:34:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Shay:
As a Canadian of Rom descent, I find it very upsetting to hear of the press, who are supposed to be impartial, are promoting negative stereotypes based on the actions of a few.
I know this has been going on for a long time for different ethnic or religious minorities; but it seems that the Rom keep getting the "third-class persons" role.
I wonder if anyone has made any Human Rights Violations complaints, or are there any hate crime charges that can be made?

January 12, 2009 at 1:09:00 AM GMT  
Anonymous unionworkeruk said...

Careful Veshengro. You are beginning to sound racist. It is nothing to do with how dark you are but with how well organised you are. Black and Asian people over the years have become organised to defend themselves and formed links with trade unions and other political/social organisations. The Gypsy community is not organised. Some are but the majority complain but do nothing effective.
Every racist article in newspapers should be met with hundreds of letters of complaint. Reports to the Press Complaints Commission. Petitions from Gypsies and their supporters, demonstrations etc. Similar with racist statements from politicians and campaigns against Gypsy/Traveller sites.
Other campaigning organisations have web sites with standard letters we can just click to be sent in support of a particular complaint or campaign. Maybe Traveller Times or someone similar could do the same as a start.
There are hundreds of thousands of Gypsies in the UK. To be effective, like other minorities and the working class in trade unions - Don't complain - ORGANISE and Good Luck!

January 12, 2009 at 11:40:00 AM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi pecha is good to send this kind of mails because than mabe de people wke ub nex month we play for amensti interntional for this isu
today we flay tot india i and my wive and mario triksa we gona paly there 3 weeks and me bee we learn a libeit from them when aim bak i send new mails

Groetjes janusch

January 12, 2009 at 3:29:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Tracie said...

Pesha,

I've been following your Blog for awhile now to gain a better understanding of the Rom community. Living in the US I am appalled at the blatant racism that is directed at this community of people.
So if these questions sound Naive I apologize.

I'm wondering why the newspaper article spells Gypsy wrong. With an "I".

If I understand it there are no established laws for Minority groups there?

January 12, 2009 at 5:11:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Krissy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 12, 2009 at 8:53:00 PM GMT  
Blogger Krissy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

January 12, 2009 at 8:59:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't live in England no more yet still I see pure hatred and racism on the Internet. I was a member of trucknet uk and last year had a huge fight over truck drivers posting topics about how Hitler had the idea to kill Gypsies an all Pikies should be shot. I managed to get the post blocked and members warned, NOT GOOD ENOUGH!! Putting down it down to ignorance and keyboard bravery I left it at that. THEN! The daily mail add was posted and to cut a long story short, got into another fight. This time I was threatened in a personal attack by the members would shoot me & my family? Are these truckers divvy fools? I advise you to join trucknet uk for free and just mention Gypsies, you will be sick with what they can write. I am now out of that site and better for it. Just so you know I am a traveller now in a house, not for long its nasty. Anyhow keep up the good work. Binno

January 20, 2009 at 10:25:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous d2b said...

Great blog. Read this if you have time : http://www.dupa2beri.co.uk/romania-exporting-problems.htm

January 25, 2009 at 9:24:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I am a college student in the U.S and i came across this blog while i was doing research on your culture. I find it Appauling that this stuff is allowed to be printed, People everywhere should be respected for their beliefs. I guess what i want to say is i hope somthing can be done about this because it just doesnt seem right.
Oh By the way i have the same name as you! except it is spelled differently and im a guy.

January 26, 2009 at 9:46:00 AM GMT  
Blogger Derek Wall said...

just put in a link to your blog, keep up the good work.

March 24, 2009 at 10:02:00 PM GMT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello
I've just read a report about the travellers losing their latest court appeal. It seems that these people are travellers and not the true Romani gypsy. In my comment I made the point that a true Romani is a much misunderstood person. The Romani is trustworthy and honest. The Romany people are a proud race of people with a massive history of ill treatment and general misunderstanding by ignorant knuckle draggers. Your culture is stunning. I would trust a true Romany with my life. I always have. My Mum and I ALWAYS helped when we could in our own small way. My Mum was eastern European. I did receive a number of replies to my post, all agreeing with me. At least there are some who have real sympathy for the gypsy cause and culture. One comment said "Kusti Bok Pal." What does that mean please? Please let me know through the auspicies of this web site. Thank you so much.
Tony.

October 12, 2011 at 4:53:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home